Head of Rackets
Pall Mall, London
The Royal Automobile Club boasts an array of exceptional sports facilities with squash and tennis being a pivotal part of the department. We are now looking for a Head of Rackets to head up that area and to oversee all rackets activity and ensure excellent levels of service and memorable sports experiences are delivered to our members.
Squash is a highly important area and is currently one of the largest private leagues in the World. However more than a Head Squash Professional, The Head Rackets Professional is responsible for creating an environment of first-class member services and rackets coaching standards to attract, grow and retain a vibrant community of rackets-playing Club members.
Based in Pall Mall with 1 day a week in Epsom this role requires an element of on-court squash coaching to members, limited to a maximum of 15 hours per week.
Role responsibilities include:
- Overall responsibility for the day to day management of squash and tennis at Pall Mall and Woodcote Park
- To take personal responsibility for the overall standards of service across squash and tennis
- To support, liaise and work actively and effectively with the Squash Chairman, the Cedars Sports Chairman and the various Committee members
- Organise the Club’s representation in the Professional Squash League competition.
- Create and implement an impactful strategy for enhanced junior rackets participation that sits alongside the wider junior activity programme centred around the Walled Garden.
- Design, propose and implement programmes which will increase utilisation of rackets activities at the Club, in particular - junior tennis and junior squash, the coaching offering and further development of leagues, competitions and tournaments.
- Lead and manage a team of 5 to successfully promote and market the squash and tennis services, including weekly programme, leagues and tournaments through effective member communication and social interaction
Our Ideal Candidate:
- Demonstrable track record within the squash industry and indepth experience of running a squash programme
- Previous experience of managing a team of squash staff, with coaching and mentoring skills
- Minimum level 3 Squash Coaching Qualification – ideally level 4
- Exceptional and intricate planning and organisation skills
- Results orientated, decisive, plans and prioritises
- Strong communication skills and the ability to comfortably liaise with all stakeholders
- County-standard squash player
- Willing and able to lead teams and deliver change - able to influence and motivate
- Logical thinker focused and passionate
- Open minded, has integrity, inspires trust and empowers the team. “No problem” mentality, positive attitude
- Pays attention to detail, uses initiative, confident and prepared to challenge
- Discretionary annual bonus
- Generous pension
- Employer paid health cash plan
- Life assurance
- European RAC Cover
- Perkbox discount scheme
- Interest free season ticket loan
Interviews will panel based and 2 stages, dates to be confirmed.
The Royal Automobile Club embodies both the rich history of British motoring and the best tradition of private members’ clubs - prestigious yet always welcoming. Here at our clubhouses we’re passionate about pioneering ever-higher standards of dining, accommodation and sporting facilities.
Most importantly, you’ll share our values. We combine a passion for our heritage with a desire to achieve new levels of excellence. We exceed expectations, treat each other with respect, and ensure mutual trust is at the core of everything we do. If you can live these values, you’ll see your efforts recognised and your potential nurtured in an organisation that’s full of individuals who have come up through the ranks, learned new skills or taken their careers in surprising new directions.