Head of Motoring (Motoring Secretary) (Ref: CENT250117)
Pall Mall, London, Woodcote Park, Epsom
Full time, Permanent
Please contact us directly for salary details
Full Job Description upload
Full Job Description
We are looking for an accomplished, passionate and visionary individual to fulfil the pivotal role of Motoring Secretary, working between our London and Surrey clubhouses.
The Royal Automobile Club is a private members club and the UK’s oldest motoring organisation, proud to be described as the ‘UK Spiritual Home of Motoring’. Our purpose includes the requirement to promote the best interests of motorists and motor sports by exploiting our heritage and collaborating with influential partners to conduct world-class motoring activities and events, using truly effective communications to build our reputation as the ‘Club of Motoring Clubs’, and the Club’s relevance as the 'Home of Motoring Excellence’. Our annual calendar of over 80 Motoring events includes; London Motor Week (which encompasses the Regent Street Motor Show and the London to Brighton Veteran Car Run), the RAC Rally of the Tests and the 1000 Mile Trial.
As our Motoring Secretary, you will be pivotal in promoting Motoring and reinforcing the Club’s Heritage, strengthening the relationships with existing partners and enhancing our reputation, so that membership of the Royal Automobile Club is an aspiration for everyone who has an interest in motoring or motor sport.
The role will see you implementing the Motoring and Heritage Development Plan. In the short term, the focus is to be on delivering high quality motoring events, ensuring that they are successfully delivered to the Club and participants’ satisfaction, and delivering a step change in the quality and quantity of motoring communications so that we obtain national level recognition for the Club’s role in motoring, while also promoting our heritage. 2017 is also to be a year of research, investigation, exploration and refinement of current activities across all events, in order to ensure the long-term health of motoring at the Club. As Motoring Secretary and part of the Club Management Committee you will be the first point of contact for all Club motoring matters.
Reporting to the Club Secretary, you will:
- Act as the Club’s executive representative within international and national motoring organisations and agencies.
- Provide the executive for the Club’s Motoring Committee, developing policies and proposals, shaping decisions and ensuring that they are implemented.
- Deliver all the Club’s internal and external Motoring events, acting as the principal lead with all contracted agencies.
- Lead Motoring communications and marketing, working collaboratively with the Head of Communications.
- Develop the Club’s Heritage, Archives and Library collections, ensuring that they are promoted through the Club’s activities and events.
- Lead the Motoring and Heritage team at Pall Mall & Woodcote Park Clubhouses through effective team management and training, instilling trust and promoting team cohesion.
- Manage the Club’s heritage vehicles and the Motor House at Woodcote Park.
The Person – Your experience, knowledge and passion for motoring and motor sport, will inspire and influence those within the Club and promote the Club within the motoring world. You will be:
- A credible authority on UK motoring matters and well-connected to the principal stakeholders across the automotive and motor sport sectors, with knowledge covering the broad horizons of different era’s and the various forms of motor sport.
- Experienced in creating, implementing and running world class events with a hands-on approach, ensuring that all events run to time and within budget.
- Empathetic to the desires and needs of all Club members, having the judgement and patience sensitively to manage competing priorities and demands.
- Commercially astute and have sound business acumen.
- A natural leader with the ability to motivate, empower and inspire your team, peers and Board members.
- Equipped with outstanding communication skills with the ability to connect naturally with internal and external audiences and deliver information in a creative way to appeal to a range of audiences.
- Capable of operating collaboratively within an ambitious senior management team who have differing perspectives and plans.
- Enthusiastic, personable, empathetic and have a sense of humour.
Most importantly, you will share our values. We combine a passion for our heritage with a desire to achieve high standards of excellence. We seek to exceed our members’ expectations, treat each other with respect and ensure mutual trust is at the core of our behaviours.
In return for your commitment we'll provide you with:
- Pension of 3% employee, 5% employer contribution, rising to up to 11% employer contribution in second year,
- BUPA Private Medical Cover (employee only)
- Simply Health cash plan (employer paid)
- Life assurance (4 x salary)
- Free meal at work and various other employee benefits.
- 3-month notice period
Please be advised that 1st stage interviews will take place on 8th / 9th March 2017.